GREAT PERFORMANCES' VEGAN CHILI
Find a ready-to-take-home chili spice mix at any of our partner cafes and restaurants around town!
Use our Chili Spice Kit to make a batch of this vegan chili, which is also featured at our cafe at Wollman Rink. This recipe is delicious the same day you make it, but tastes even better the next day. Freeze any leftovers in smaller portions for a quick winter warmup. Add meat for a non-vegan option, garden vegetables for an even heartier meal, or top with classics like cheese, sour cream, and scallions.
The Spice Mix is also delicious as a seasoning for roasting vegetables or using as a dry rub.
Vegan Chili Recipe
By Chef Andrew Smith, Culinary Director
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Brooklyn lager
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Great Performances Chili Spice Mix*
*GP Chili Spice Mix contains garlic and onion, as well as our signature blend of spices.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed, 6 qt pot on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sweat till onions have become translucent.
- Add seasoning mix and stir till fragrant.
- Deglaze with beer, scraping up fond and stirring until reduced to au sec (nearly dry), then add stock, tomatoes, and black beans.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about one hour or until liquids have reduced to chili-like consistency.
- Season to taste and remove from heat. Serve with your favorite chili garnishes.