GREAT PERFORMANCES' VEGAN CHILI
Find a ready-to-take-home chili spice mix at any of our partner cafes and restaurants around town!
Use our Chili Spice Kit to make a batch of this vegan chili, which is also featured at our cafe at Wollman Rink. This recipe is delicious the same day you make it, but tastes even better the next day. Freeze any leftovers in smaller portions for a quick winter warmup. Add meat for a non-vegan option, garden vegetables for an even heartier meal, or top with classics like cheese, sour cream, and scallions.
The Spice Mix is also delicious as a seasoning for roasting vegetables or using as a dry rub.
Vegan Chili Recipe
By Chef Andrew Smith, Culinary Director
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp oil
- 3 15oz cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup Brooklyn lager
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 14.5oz can diced tomatoes
- 2 Tbsp Great Performances Chili Spice Mix*
*GP Chili Spice Mix contains garlic and onion, as well as our signature blend of spices.
- Heat oil in a heavy bottomed, 6 qt pot on medium heat. Add onions and garlic and sweat till onions have become translucent.
- Add seasoning mix and stir till fragrant.
- Deglaze with beer, scraping up fond and stirring until reduced to au sec (nearly dry), then add stock, tomatoes, and black beans.
- Simmer over low heat, stirring occasionally, for about one hour or until liquids have reduced to chili-like consistency.
- Season to taste and remove from heat. Serve with your favorite chili garnishes.
More Great Performances Recipes
BUTTERNUT SQUASH FARROTTO KIT
Find a ready-to-take-home kit at any of our partner cafes and restaurants around town!
Our farrotto kit is the start of a delicious homemade dinner, as tasty as it is simple to prepare.
Farro is an ancient grain with a nutty flavor and chewy texture that can be prepared like a risotto. We’ve added our own blend of herbs, to get the recipe started. This season, we suggest butternut squash for its natural sweetness and smooth texture. But the Great Performances Farrotto Blend (farro, dehydrated garlic, dehydrated onion, thyme, and sage) would be delicious with any number of winter vegetables, such as carrot and celery, or root vegetables including beets, parsnips, turnips and more, not to mention mushrooms. What’s in your fridge?
Butternut Squash Farrotto Kit Recipe
By Georgette Farkas, Culinary Ambassador
- 1 cup GP Farrotto Blend*
- 2 cups cubed butternut squash (find pre-cubed squash in the produce section of your grocery store)
- 3 Tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups vegetable stock, warmed to a simmer
- 1/4 cup white wine (optional)
- 1 cup radicchio, halved and thinly sliced (optional)
- Salt and pepper
*GP Farrotto Blend contains farro, dehydrated onion, dehydrated garlic, sage, and thyme
- 12 ¼-inch slices butternut squash roasted with olive oil, thyme, and sage
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, toasted
PREPARE THE FARROTO
- Heat olive oil in a large, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat. Add cubed squash and cook, stirring until squash is quite soft. Take your time with this step, as cooking the squash thoroughly will bring out its natural sweetness and enable it to melt into the farroto. Add farrotto blend and cook, stirring, until farro is very lightly toasted. Add white wine (optional) and continue to cook, stirring, until wine is mostly evaporated.
- Add 1 cup warm vegetable stock and cook, stirring occasionally over low flame. Continue to add vegetable stock, a little at a time, cooking the farro until al dente and the stock is absorbed. Amount of stock needed may vary. Once farro is cooked through, fold in finely sliced radicchio (optional) and cook just until wilted.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Transfer to warm serving plates or platter and serve.
OPTIONAL: Garnish with slices of roasted butternut squash and sprinkle toasted pumpkin seeds.